The Brand Director will be key to the development, integration and promotion of the National Museum of African American Music brand. As the ‘brand guardian,’ the Brand Director will maintain brand integrity across all Museum marketing initiatives and communications. NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present. This is a developing leadership role for one who is equally comfortable with big picture strategic planning and rolling up sleeves to dig into the detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with sales & marketing teams on the development of annual plans; including leading brainstorming and development of strategies to support museum and brand key objectives.
- Collaborating with corporate sales, curatorial, programming, marketing and revenue leaders to create annual strategies for new and existing programs and initiatives.
- Creating and implementing KPI’s and best practices for marketing department and third party agencies; clearly identify objectives, target audiences, and timelines of deliverables.
- Create and manage Marketing department budget to ensure program appropriate fulfillment and resource allocation.
- Maximize market share and improve the organization’s competitive position.
- Identify new strategic partners to help create brand extensions in diverse spaces with innovative business models, designed to drive new revenue.
- Oversee writing and distribution of press releases, media alerts, press kits, and other materials
- Pitch and secure national, regional, and local print, web, and broadcast media placements for NMAAM across a range of media including art & design, museum, music, hospitality trade, business, etc.
- Monitor award opportunities, submissions, and maintain award/accolades data
- Report trends and insights for museum and travel/hospitality industry to remain aware of public perception.
- Cultivate and maintain great working relationships with members of the national, regional, and local media specializing in travel, museum, art & design, business, hospitality trade and multicultural media partners.
- Development and maintenance of NMAAM’s media database, target lists and crisis communication protocol.
Event Management / Planning
- Oversee all aspects of event planning for key brand initiatives, fund- and friend-raising, press conferences, media events/tours, press
- Lead PR efforts to maximize success by developing an integrated communications plan in collaboration with the brand marketing team and property teams;
- Develop activation plans to ensure flawless execution and financial reporting.
- Remain a steward of the brand, offering a nonbiased opinion on all brand partnerships, talent recommendations, and events.
Team Leadership and Agency Oversight
- Lead and manage agencies, department employees, vendors/contractors, and supplemental staff to ensure NMAAM brand remains on strategy.
- Manage PR agency relationships
- Mentor other members of the sales & marketing team by sharing knowledge and experiences, providing advice, and leading by example
Monitor, Reporting, and Infrastructure
- Distribute big media hits as they occur
- Distribute month-end reporting that includes a roundup of media hits, upcoming coverage, active pitches, media visits planned, etc.
- Ensure clippings files are maintained and press hits are kept up to date on the website
- Develop and maintain SOPs related to public relations activities at both property and brand level to ensure that expectations are aligned and teams are clear on proper procedure
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s preferred
- Minimum 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in brand marketing, ideally with multi-cultural marketing experience
- Has worked with consumer packaged goods brands in a marketing capacity and multicultural audiences
- Proven track record in performing well in a fast-paced environment and organizational skills to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines effectively
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Proven leadership and management capabilities
- Experience in handling confidential information and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Conducts self in a professional manner; maintains appropriate professional appearance.
- Follows and supports policies and procedures of NMAAM.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Timely follow up and ability to adhere to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills demonstrated through clear, concise verbal and written communication
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with media, team members, third party agencies and vendors, and guests
- Ability to act as ambassador of NMAAM and demonstrate confidence in knowledge of the history, brand values, vision, and direction
- Proficiency in public relations best practices
- Ability to identify opportunities for improving corporate infrastructure as it relates to brand communications and to develop plans, offer solutions and implement strategies.
- Ability to travel frequently
- Holds existing relationships with media outlets, press contacts, ambassadors and influencers of culture
- Has an understanding of the professional museum and music world
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NMAAM is an equal opportunity employer.
NMAAM offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and a matched 401(k).
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter along with writing samples and a link to a portfolio of your recent work ti hr@NMAAM.org.
- Date Posted: February 28, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 04/01/2020
- Salary Range: $90 - $110k
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk