Board & Executive Manager
The Board and Executive Manager’s responsibilities are very detail-oriented and yet require a high level of customer service. Ability to quickly take direction and execute tasks independently are critical to success in this role. The responsibilities are varied and will demand the ability to manage many open items simultaneously without letting any one item stay open too long. In order to be successful, the manager must ask questions when more information is needed, understand that attention to timelines is critical, and take initiative to bring about desired results.
This position is integral to the high functioning of PENCIL’s executive team and board of directors. The goal is that this team member makes the executive team more efficient by managing their emails, calendars, committee leadership, etc., and documenting relevant communications in our CRM, Salesforce. The Board and Executive Manager is also the primary point of contact for our board members and facilitates their meaningful engagement with PENCIL.
The key areas of focus for the Board and Executive Manager are executive support and board engagement. In order to be fully successful in both of these areas, the Board and Executive Manager must develop a strong knowledge of PENCIL programs and organization policies to fully understand key priorities.
Board Member Engagement (40%)
Overall objective – assure board members (Governing Board, Emerging Leaders Board, and Alumni Board) have a high quality and rich experience with PENCIL
- Serve as primary point of contact for all PENCIL board members
- Manage the implementation of our board cultivation and engagement plan; reminding board leaders and staff to carry out defined activities to increase board engagement
- Communicate with board members on behalf of the CEO as requested, obtaining personal and confidential information
- Work closely with Executive Team to set annual meeting calendar (board and all board committees), manage all calendar invitations, assure timely preparation of all meeting agendas and materials, handle follow-up tasks after board and committee meetings
- Organize the internal preparation for Board and Committee meetings including strategically organizing executive team’s preparation time, documentation in Salesforce , on-site logistics, and manage external presenters when applicable
- Attend and take meeting minutes as necessary, maintaining strict confidentiality of the information
- Manage and regularly ensure the accuracy of all board members’ information (contact info, job affiliation, committee assignments, board history) in Salesforce
- Support executive team in keeping accurate notes of key stakeholders in Salesforce
- Coordinate gestures of kindness and marking of milestones with the CEO for board members throughout their service and as they roll onto the Alumni Board
- Implement and evolve, when needed, a system for onboarding new board members and ensure all necessary information is obtained and entered into Salesforce prior to their board service
- Provide support (as needed) to the Individual Giving Manager as they coordinate board stewardship of donors
- Provide support (as needed) to the Individual Giving Manager as they manage communication and invoicing for all board financial investments (donations, pledges), with more focus during May-August
Support of Executive Team—excluding the Chief Partnerships and Programs Officer (35%)
Overall objective – maximize the time the executive team can spend on higher level activities by managing their calendars and emails
- Calendar management for executive team – scheduling meetings; sending calendar invitations and email reminders; confirming meetings in advance (response time within a 12-hour period, Monday-Friday)
- As requested, monitor email inboxes, and eliminate as many distractions as possible
- Prepare and send emails on behalf of the CEO, via Outlook and Salesforce
- Prepare and submit expense reports for executive team
- Be handed a situation that needs completion, understand the desired outcome and ‘just handle it’ in a professional and thoughtful way
- Enable executive team to make quick and timely decisions by gathering the facts of a given situation
Human Resource Support (10%)
Overall objective – assure a smooth transition for PENCIL team members as well as a meaningful evaluation and support process
- Guide enhancements to staff experience by facilitating staff gatherings, holiday events, competitions, satisfaction surveys, all staff trainings
- Collaborate with the CAO for the implementation of any staff-wide trainings or professional development projects such as Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work
- Collaborate and support the HR Team in facilitating the hiring process – posting open positions, resume collection, candidate communications, scheduling interviews, on-boarding process
- Coordinate monthly staff meetings: implement a preparation schedule, set up on site, purchase any pertinent materials, and ensure the slide deck and printed materials are available
General Support (15%)
Overall objective – maximize the productivity of the running of the business and serve as a central point of contact for all PENCIL staff
- Monitor MNPS School Board meetings to assure CEO reviews agenda in advance of the meeting
- Collaborate with PENCIL Staff to coordinate people and processes to assure that projects are delivered on time and produce the desired results
- Screen phone calls and assisting outside callers in reaching the right person in the organization
- Maintain schedule of use of conference rooms
- Flexible in supporting any office projects needing extra attention due to specific deadlines
- Assists other administrative support staff in projects and cross-coverage if needed
- Document management – edits and organizes PENCIL procedures for all aspects of the business related to the Board and Executive Manager position
- Performs other functions as assigned
- EDUCATION – Bachelor’s Degree is preferred; Associate’s Degree at a minimum.
- CRITICAL BEHAVIORS –
- Measurable attention to detail
- Ability to communicate (write, speak) in the voice of the CEO and other executive team members
- Regularly making decisions that keep PENCIL’s brand image strong
- Thinking beyond the task at hand to the impact the result of the task will have
- Draw conclusions and make suggestions for action
- Able to work independently and proactively without daily instruction
- Unquestionable discretion and integrity
- Adept at anticipating the needs of “C” level executives
- Strong planning and execution skills. Ability to change direction quickly if situations change.
- Ability to absorb constructive criticism well
- Proactively ask questions when a task/project is unclear
- SKILLS –
- Success with mastering technology and using it to gain efficiencies (i.e. implementing an on-line calendar scheduling tool rather than using emails to schedule meetings)
- Excellent customer service and relationship management skills
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize multiple tasks, and hit deadlines
- Demonstrable teamwork and conflict resolution skills
- Organized and able to keep accurate and detailed documentation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- EXPERIENCE – 3+ years of experience in a similar role providing high-level assistance to an executive team
- CONFIDENTIALITY – ability to manage sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner as outlined in PENCIL’s Confidentiality Policy
PENCIL is proud to offer the following benefits:
- Medical, Dental and Vision available from BCBST.
- Group Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment and Long Term Disability at no cost to the employee.
- 401K plan with a generous 3% employer match. Employees are vested after 3 years.
- 10 paid holidays, several days between Christmas and New Year’s, and a generous PTO policy.
How to Apply
Click here to apply!
- Date Posted: January 27, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Education
- Salary Range: $55,000-$60,000
- Working Hours: This position will regularly be scheduled to work 40 hours each week, typically Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., with occasional evening and weekend hours for special events. This position is eligible for full benefits.