Bilingual Education Advisor, Migrant Education Program
Position: Bilingual Education Advisor, Migrant Education Program
Conexión Américas is currently looking for a qualified candidate to serve the following counties: Rhea and Bledsoe
The Education Advisor provides supplemental educational services and support to eligible children (ages 3-21) enrolled in the Migrant Education Program in Tennessee. The primary responsibility of the Education Advisor is to assess the academic needs of migratory students and provide instructional support such as tutoring to meet those needs, as well help students receive other support services related to translation, transportation, health or other basic human needs that lack thereof would impede their academic success.
Fluency in Spanish and experience working with immigrant populations is required. Please note that part of the interview will be conducted in Spanish. Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas and the Migrant Education Program should apply.
This is a full-time position in the Mid. to East Tennessee Region of the Migrant Education Program. Salary depends on experience and/or qualifications.
The position requires that individuals spend the majority of their time in the field, providing supplemental support services to students in rural settings such as in family’s homes and in local schools. It also requires at least one day a week working from home to complete office hours, reporting, and lesson planning. Candidates must have access to internet at home. The position may require driving up to 90 minutes to complete more remote home visits. This position requires candidates to work some weekends. Travel to Nashville is sometimes necessary for staff meetings with the home office team as well.
The Migrant Education Program (MEP) is a program established by the United States Department of Education. Conexión Américas is responsible for the implementation of the Migrant Education Program in the state of Tennessee. The fundamental purpose of the program is to remove barriers to academic success for migrant children (ages 3-21), and to promote academic achievement.
Provide Instructional Support:
- Provide individual and small group supplemental tutoring services at school, in migrant homes, and other approved locations in the community to migrant students, K-12, with a primary focus on Literacy, and a secondary focus on Math and homework help
- Create a tutoring schedule for each student in collaboration with the Service Manager and families
- Implements the Balanced Literacy Approach, as part of the focus on Literacy instruction
- Creates Lesson Plans for instructional sessions, and promptly fill out and submit lesson plans to supervisor
- Collect and prepare instructional materials to conduct lessons
- Build relationships with students and families to deliver effective services
- Determine the priority for service level of students using the MEP Needs Assessment tool
- Conduct pre and post evaluations of students academic advances using MEP tools.
- Enters student data and services provided into Tennessee Migrant Platform weekly
- Register students for MEP Summer Camp
- Attend two-week summer camp in region and provide logistical and operational support in the successful implementation of Summer Camp before, during and after camp
Outreach and Support Services
- Connect with local school administrators, businesses, and other organizations in the community to identify resources that can support migrant families
- Provide referrals to families around educational, health, social, legal, and other services as needed
- Coordinate direct support services to meet the needs of migratory students and families around educational, health, social, legal, and other services as needed
- Serves as a liaison between school districts, school personnel, families and the Migrant Education Program and advocate on behalf of students and families in the school system.
- Re-enroll eligible students in the MEP program annually
- Support students in registering for school
- Provide support to the Parent Engagement Coordinator in the organization of Parent Advisory Council or Parent Engagement Meetings as necessary.
General Organization Support Duties:
- Speak or make presentations on behalf of Conexión Américas at events and conferences
- Communicate in a positive and effective manner Conexión Américas’ mission and programs
- Attend MEP staff meetings and Conexion Americas meetings and staff retreats, as well as mandatory trainings offered to the team
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- High School diploma required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Studies related to Education, Child Development, Psychology or Social Work, preferred.
- Experiences around teaching or working with children in the education sector, preferred.
- Must be comfortable and motivated working outside an office setting, in non-traditional work environments
- Excellent written and oral communication in English required; fluency in Spanish required
- Flexibility, creativity, initiative and ability to work as a team member, required
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of stakeholders, required
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks, and work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines, required
- Must pass background check and language assessment
- Must have reliable transportation and possess a valid TN Driver’s License and auto insurance
- Experience working with ESL or ELL students, preferred
- Ability to work flexible hours, including afternoons, evenings, and some weekends, to provide services to students outside of regular school hours, required
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and Google Drive, required
- Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and families, as well as other immigrant and refugee groups, preferred
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations’ operations, preferred
Option to enroll in Short-term Disability, Accident, and Critical Illness Insurance
Generous Paid Time Off Package
Professional Development Opportunities
Flexible Work Schedule
How to Apply
Please read about our mission and values on our website www.conexionamericas.org. Please email cover letter, resume, and references to: Sara Del Castillo, Director of People and Culture at email@example.com. No phone or in person inquiries, please.
- Date Posted: February 19, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 03/15/2020
- Working Hours: 40