Greater Nashville Regional Council
Assistant Public Guardian for the Elderly
Greater Nashville Regional Council
The Greater Nashville Regional Council (GNRC) is seeking an experienced Social Worker to serve as an Assistant Public Guardian within its Department of Aging and Disability Services. The Department’s responsibilities include 1) planning and coordination of state/federal investments into programs and services aimed at improving quality of life for senior adults, 2) coordinating services among a network of senior centers and providers, 3) providing counseling/assessments to help Middle Tennesseans enroll in programs and services, and 4) monitoring the performance of grant-funded programs to ensure compliance with the state and federal requirements.
GNRC is the regional council of governments for Nashville and surrounding counties and serves as one of nine regional economic development districts established by the Tennessee General Assembly in 1965. GNRC also serves as the region’s state/federally-designated Area Agency on Aging & Disability (AAAD), working in close partnership with the TN Commission on Aging and Disability (TCAD) and TennCare. More information is available at GNRC.org and TN.gov/Aging.
The Public Guardianship for the Elderly program ensures the health and welfare of some of the state’s most vulnerable residents by serving as the court-appointed guardian for individuals age 60 and over who, due to physical or mental limitations, are unable to make personal decisions regarding their health and financial resources. The court utilizes the program as a public option of last resort for individuals who have no other family member, friend, bank or corporation willing, able or suitable to act on their behalf. The duties of a Public Guardian may include:
- Reviewing referrals and interviewing prospective clients and family members to assess eligibility and suitability for the program;
- Representing GNRC and/or clients during court hearings, preparing pleadings on behalf of the client;
- Ensuring proper and timely filing of court documents required under state statute and associated policies and regulations;
- Managing the financial and physical needs of clients including the arranging for the sale of real and personal property on behalf of clients and the application of relevant Medicare, Medicaid, Veteran’s and Social Security Benefits on behalf of clients;
- Assisting with the placement of clients into suitable residential accommodations;
- Working with nursing facilities to develop individualized plans of care;
- Completing quarterly assessments of the condition of clients;
- Coordinating among other Public Guardian staff and volunteers to ensure regular visit with clients;
- Attending trainings to stay aware of the National Guardianship Standards of Practice;
- Working closely with legal counsel to support client and program needs; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Aging and Disability Services.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in human services or related field and at least two years of successful employment in a field related to public guardianship activities, such as social services, law, financial institutions, and/or health care of other related fields. Other requirements would be to have or able to obtain certification as a registered guardian through the Center of Guardianship Certification within two years of date of employment, have considerable knowledge of practical principles of social services and provision of such services: knowledge of the needs of the elderly, adults with physical disabilities, and their families, ability to perform supervisory and managerial work of average difficulty; ability to assist in the planning and management of aging program operations and the ability to delegate tasks and implement changes appropriately and effectively.
Travel Expectations: This position will require travel throughout GNRC’s thirteen county region. A valid driver’s license and access to personal transportation is required.
Full benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Etc.
How to Apply
If Interested please apply at www.gnrc.org/jobs
GNRC is an EOE, AA Employer
- Date Posted: May 9, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Government