New York Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Terms of Employment: Full-Time/ Exempt
Location: New York Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad Street, New York, New York (remote position for an extended period of time due to Covid-19)
Salary: $120,000 to $150,000, depending on experience and qualifications
Application Deadline: Applications will be considered starting January 22, 2021 and until the position is filled
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation’s leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The Assistant Director is responsible for supporting and developing NYCLU litigation and related advocacy and for serving as a key member of the management team of the Legal Department, which is led by the Legal Director and Deputy Legal Director. The Assistant Director’s responsibilities may include supporting major cases; supervising Attorneys, Senior Staff Attorneys, Staff Attorneys, and Legal Fellows; and leading the department’s work in a specific subject area. The Assistant Director will play a leadership role in the overall work of the Legal Department. The Assistant Director also serves as member of the NYCLU’s mid-management team with confidentiality obligations to the Senior Leadership Team and the Board of Directors. For this position, the NYCLU is particularly interested in candidates with significant experience with criminal-justice issues.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Litigation- Support a wide range of federal, state, and administrative litigation, including complex, class-action litigation and cases undertaken with the national ACLU, with other advocacy organizations and with cooperating attorneys; play a leading role in developing new litigation.
• Management of the Legal Department- Assume significant responsibility for managing the Legal Department, including supervising legal and other staff; designing and implementing systems to promote equity, opportunity, and accountability; and providing feedback, conducting performance evaluations, and developing professional-development plans for staff under their supervision;
• Mid-Level Management of the NYCLU- Participate in the mid-level management of the NYCLU (which includes middle managers from other NYCLU departments) supporting the Senior Leadership Team in formulating and implementing programmatic and organizational initiatives;
• Strategic Planning- Participate in strategic planning for the programmatic and organizational work of the Legal Department and of the NYCLU;
• Non-Litigation Advocacy- Play a leading role in the advocacy work of the Legal Department, which includes working with the NYCLU’s Policy and Communications departments; working with NYCLU offices around New York; and working with other advocacy organizations and elected officials; presenting testimony before legislative bodies and administrative agencies; and participating in public education on civil-liberties issues by speaking at public events and publishing articles and essays.
• At least 9 years of experience with civil-rights and civil-liberties litigation and related advocacy;
• Demonstrated experience successfully supervising and supporting litigation in the public-interest sector;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to advocate effectively;
• Demonstrated ability to support the professional development of lawyers and other staff;
• Demonstrated ability to address diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace;
• Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and the priorities of the NYCLU; and
• Admitted to practice law in New York State and in good standing.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Apply/413624/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Assistant-Director as a single PDF document (1) a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and describing your qualifications, (2) an up-to-date resume, and (3) a writing sample of your choosing, not to exceed 10 pages. We strongly prefer writing samples that are recent and entirely or largely your work. The NYCLU will start considering applications on January 22, 2021 and will continue to review them until the position is filled.
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
The NYACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
- Date Posted: December 21, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Government
- Salary Range: $120,000 to $150,000, depending on experience and qualifications