Appeals Litigation Attorney
TennCare is Tennessee’s managed care Medicaid program that provides health insurance coverage to certain groups of low-income individuals such as pregnant women, children, caretaker relatives of young children, older adults, and adults with physical disabilities. TennCare provides coverage for approximately 1.4 million Tennesseans and operates with an annual budget of approximately $12 billion. It is run by the Division of TennCare with oversight and some funding from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
WHY WORK AT TENNCARE?
TennCare’s mission is to improve the lives of Tennesseans by providing high-quality cost-effective care. To fulfill that purpose, we equip each employee for active participation and empower teams to communicate and work collaboratively to improve organizational processes in order to make a difference in the lives our members. Because of the positive impact TennCare has on the lives of the most vulnerable Tennesseans, TennCare employees report that their work provides them with a sense of meaning, purpose, and accomplishment. TennCare leadership understands that employees are our most valuable resource and ensures professional and leadership development are a priority for the agency.
JOB AND DEPARTMENTAL OVERVIEW
The Division of TennCare seeks a Litigation Attorney in the TennCare Eligibility Appeals Organization within the Division of Member Services. Under the general supervision of a Lead Attorney, the Litigation Attorney will represent the State at TennCare eligibility appeals proceedings. These proceedings will require Litigation Attorney to draft pleadings, manage discovery, examine witnesses and argue before TennCare Administrative Judges. To obtain a just outcome, the Litigation Attorney will work with Resolution Specialists, Litigation Assistants and Legal Assistants, and appellants or appellants’ counsel.
• Research laws, rules, and policies about TennCare Medicaid, prepare Notices of Hearing and collaborate with Appeal Litigation Specialists to create information packets as evidence for hearings.
• Reviews POAs, authorized representative forms, HIPAA authorizations and other purported representative documents for sufficiency.
• Prepare motions and other preliminary legal filings to prepare hearings and gather information to comply with discovery requests from opposing counsel or appellants.
• Litigate appeals through the administrative hearing process, conduct necessary legal research to identify cases ripe for appeal and draft appropriate appellate documents and pleadings minutes.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
• Juris Doctor from an accredited college or university
• Active License to practice law in Tennessee
• Ability to foster and maintain cohesive working relationships
• Comfortable at adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
• Ability to exercise sound judgment
• Strong organizational skills necessary, including the ability to prioritize, multi-task and manage workload to meet specific timeframes and deadlines
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Ability to interpret and execute public policy
• Experience with administrative procedures a plus
• Previous litigation experience a plus
To see all the great benefits available to State of Tennessee employees, go to the TN.gov Benefits page: https://www.tn.gov/hr/employees1/benefits.html
How to Apply
To apply for this job or see other opportunities at TennCare, visit the state of Tennessee’s Careers page today: https://www.tn.gov/careers/apply-here.html
- Date Posted: February 17, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Government