National Museum for African American Music
Annual Fund Manager
National Museum for African American Music
The NMAAM Annual Fund Manager is responsible for implementing, managing and evaluating a comprehensive annual giving program focused on sustainable growth in unrestricted and restricted annual support for the National Museum of African American Music (NMAAM). Together with NMAAM leadership, the Manager will develop and drive implementation of a comprehensive fundraising and communications plan to sustain and grow the annual budget and to promote museum goals. The Development Annual Fund Manager will play a central part in ensuring the institution’s fundraising success and will work closely with development and other museum staff to assess and fulfill research needs.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
- Assist with planning a strategic, comprehensive program to maintain, increase and diversify support from sources including annual gifts, special events, corporations and foundations.
- Manage and implement an annual giving program with special focus on increasing donor participation/ donor count, building and retaining annual gifts and increasing unrestricted revenue, and assist managing donor loyalty programs like the Baron’s Society and Legends Society.
- Maintains positive and mutually rewarding relations among NMAAM and its donors and also partners with NMAAM staff on communication and recognition strategies.
- Manage a calendar of annual solicitations that includes deployment of strategy across multi-channels and builds volunteer engagement.
- Partner with the NMAAM’s advancement operations team to ensure purposeful segmentation and meaningful evaluation regarding the success and cost effectiveness of annual fundraising efforts.
- Partner with the CEO, the Director of Development and frontline fundraisers to coordinate strategies and develop the donor pipeline.
- Organize and execute all museum giving programs; foster a culture of young professional philanthropy at NMAAM through the Young Professional program.
- Provide regular analysis and status reports to the Senior Leadership Team; assess revenue and participation rates against set goals with a focus on retaining, renewing lapsed donors and upgrading annual donors.
- Collaborate with the Membership Manager to enhance the NMAAM’s giving society strategy including the Baron’s Society, Legends Society and creation of a lifetime giving society for donors through recognition and activities that reinforce their shared interest in high-level support of the museum.
- Some travel and a need for flexible working hours – weekend and evening duties as required, including but not limited to donor relations events, education events, and NMAAM membership events.
- Budget: Manage annual giving expenditures, including working with outside vendors to negotiate expenses to best benefit the NMAAM; provide budget and analysis.
- Step in, as needed, to support additional projects and advance development department goals.
Education and Experience:
- 5 years of relevant work experience in non-profit fund raising and development required including experience with annual giving. Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of direct work experience and education.
- Experienced, proactive and creative leader who enjoys collaborating with colleagues and communicating directly with donors, prospects, volunteers, staff and friends of NMAAM.
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy.
- Conducts self in a professional manner; maintains appropriate professional appearance.
- High integrity needed to handle confidential information
- Well-developed customer service orientation
- Follows and supports policies and procedures of NMAAM.
- Excellent attention to details, organization skills, ability to set priorities and to set and meet deadlines required
- Knowledge of the following preferred: Blackbaud Fundraising software platform, electronic communications media, and all aspects of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports, promotes and has a passion for the Museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NMAAM offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits and compensation package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, and a matched 401(k).
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by submitting your resume with cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. Applications are only accepted through email.
- Date Posted: August 7, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Arts / Culture