YWCA Nashville & Middle TN
Animal Care Technician
YWCA Nashville & Middle TN
Animal Care Technician is responsible for ensuring that all animals in the YWCA Pet Shelter are cared for properly and humanely and that the Clients of the Domestic Violence Shelter (DVC) have the opportunity to care for and spend time with their animal. Responsible for the accuracy and maintenance of all records and files as well as the general upkeep of the facility and grounds.
Relationships and Contacts
Within the organization: This role reports directly to the Pet Shelter Manager and must maintain a strong working relationship with the Pet Shelter Manager, the AVP, the Pet Shelter Staff, Staff of the DVC, the Director of Community Engagement, and the Staff of Grants / Evaluation.
Outside the organization: Position maintains frequent and close working relationships with Clients of the DVC; Partners of the YWCA Pet Shelter including but not limited to Veterinary Staff, Animal Care Groups, Pet Fosters, Vendors, and General Community.
Ensures that all animals in the Pet Shelter are cared for properly and humanely and may include: cleaning and maintaining kennels; feeding pets; bathing pet; taking the pet to play area for exercise/physical needs; transitioning pets to carrier and vehicle; transporting and obtaining veterinary care; administering preventive and prescribed medication.
- Ensures that all Pet Shelter operating procedures are followed, and the facility is maintained in a clean and organized manner
- Ensures that all animal health and vaccination records are up to date. Records and reports any health and or safety issues as outlines in Pet Shelter Operation Manual
- Ensures the accuracy of all forms, documents, records. Assists the Pet Shelter Manager with required reports and records
- In partnership with the Pet Shelter Manager, Maintenance Tech & the AVP, assists in the resolution of any facilities-related issues, including but not limited to contacting appropriate vendors, coordinating vendor site visits, and ensuring the issues are resolved while following all maintenance protocols
- Maintain inventory and organization of supplies
- Provides information and assistance to Pet Owners as necessary or requested
- Schedule appointments and assist with transporting animals for care as necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Requirements
High School diploma or Equivalent. The position requires a minimum of one year of successful employment at either a licensed Pet Kennel/Animal Care Clinic or a 501C3 Pet Shelter/Rescue Organization. Position requirements must include the direct care of animals and maintenance of records. Must be able to read, write, and converse in English. Conversational Spanish is a plus but not required. Basic knowledge in working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to travel inside the Pet Shelter Facility as well as the Pet Shelter Play Area; Must be able to take dogs to play area for exercise/physical needs
- Able to lift/transport up to 75 lbs.
- Able to crouch, crawl, balance, climb, stretch, reach
- Able to tolerate loud noise
- Position requires the incumbent to have a valid driver’s license, vehicle insurance, and a clean driving record for the last three years.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization and community
- Punctual, reliable, and dependable
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to work with and respectfully address culturally diverse populations
- Exercises patience and maintains a calm presence in all interactions
- Self-starter and able to work with minimum supervision
- Willingness to support the mission of the YWCA and ability to convey its importance both verbally and in writing.
YWCA of Nashville and Middle Tennessee reserve the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the organization desires. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “At-Will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.
Paid Parental Leave
Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
Please apply here.
- Date Posted: June 4, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Animal Welfare
- Working Hours: Approx. 20 hours a week