AmeriCorps Member – Ready for Reading Pre-K Program Coordinator
The Ready for Reading Pre-K Program Coordinator (Coordinator) creates exciting literacy opportunities for volunteers who are reading with Pre-K classrooms and expands the program to develop more literacy benefits within Book’em, an organization that provides thousands of books and hundreds of classroom reading volunteers annually to Nashville’s economically challenged youth.
The Ready for Reading Pre-K Program Coordinator serves with a 30-member cohort of community-focused individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between Book’em and Hands On Nashville, Middle Tennessee’s volunteer resource center.
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps program is made possible through the support of the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
Book’em is looking for an enterprising Ready for Reading Pre-K Program Coordinator with an interest in early childhood literacy and education, volunteer coordination, program development, project management and family engagement. The Coordinator assists the Reading Programs Coordinator and Book’em staff in developing, enhancing and expanding early childhood literacy volunteer programs.
Book’em seeks an individual who has a passion for early childhood literacy and can inspire volunteers. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, highly organized, detail oriented and able to work independently and with a small team to accomplish goals. Over the course of the yearlong term, the Coordinator manages all aspects of the program and assists with other volunteer reading program initiatives. The Coordinator focuses on enhancing and developing volunteer, student, family, and school engagement through literacy. The Coordinator gains experience with volunteer management, project planning and execution, early childhood literacy, family engagement and evaluation.
- Recruit, place, supervise and communicate with reading volunteers.
- Research, create and implement an appropriate and effective reading volunteer orientation.
- Conceive, design and coordinate new literacy-related partnership opportunities between schools, Book’em, volunteers, students and families.
- Create and refine procedures, systems and documents to sustain and expand the program’s components.
- Develop and implement effective evaluation tools.
- Organize and document book distribution procedures.
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program is designed for entry-level or experienced professionals interested in a career in nonprofit management. You have amazing skills. We will teach you how to put them to work for the greater good.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Interests
- Community Organizing
- Conflict Resolution
- Youth Development
- Social Services
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Arabic preferred, but not required
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 16, 2021 – July 29, 2022)
- Bachelor’s Degree. Experience can be accepted in lieu of education.
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
Lift and carry up to 20-30lbs; Responsibilities in the position may entail sitting for extended periods of time; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time.; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.; Service responsibilities require member to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl;
- $6,345 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
How to Apply
Please complete the Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Application Form. We will contact you within two weeks to let you know if you have been selected for an interview.
Accepting candidates on a rolling basis through August 1, 2021
- Date Posted: March 26, 2021
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 08/16/2021
- Salary Range: $17,500 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
- Working Hours: 35 – 40 hours per week