Shower The People
AmeriCorps Member – Homeless Engagement and Volunteer Outreach Coordinator
Shower The People
The Homeless Engagement and Volunteer Outreach Coordinator (Coordinator) will help keep Shower The People’s mobile hygiene and laundry services moving and grooving by helping manage volunteers, clients, and community relations for the programs that provide basic hygiene services for our unhoused neighbors in need.
The Homeless Engagement and Volunteer Outreach Coordinator serves with a 30-member cohort of community-focused individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between Shower The People and Hands On Nashville, Middle Tennessee’s volunteer resource center.
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps program is made possible through the support of the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
Shower The People (STP) is looking for an enthusiastic Homeless Engagement and Volunteer Outreach Coordinator who is passionate about helping those experiencing homelessness, building capacity of our programs, and volunteer engagement. The Coordinator will assist the agency’s mobile shower and laundry teams with clients, build the volunteer base, and help create policies to increase the capacity of the agency’s programs.
STP seeks an individual who has a passion for people experiencing homelessness. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, and able to work independently to accomplish goals. Over the course of the yearlong term, the Coordinator manages all aspects of the volunteer program, completes a program evaluation, and strategizes ways to enhance the experiences of volunteers and clients. The Coordinator gains experience with volunteer management, outreach, business development, as well as community engagement.
- Work with Founder at Shower Service to increase capacity and efficiencies.
- Manage volunteers at hygiene services.
- Manage community engagement volunteer activities at schools, businesses, and in the warehouse.
- Improve data collection (of volunteers and clients).
- Operate/drive shower or laundry trailer to shower service.
- Member will assist STP team and go into encampents to do supply drops/welfare checks during “Cold Weather Outreach.”
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program is designed for entry-level or experienced professionals interested in a career in nonprofit management. You have amazing skills. We will teach you how to put them to work for the greater good.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Interests
- Community Organizing
- First Aid
- Social Services
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 16, 2021 – July 29, 2022)
- Some College;Experience can be accepted in lieu of education;
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
Lift and carry up to 30-50lbs; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time.; Responsibilities in the position may entail serving in the outdoors and potentially in inclement weather; Responsibilities in the position may entail operating machinery and/or power tools; Office or service environment is not wheelchair accessible; Office or service environment may include noisy environments.; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.;
- $6,345 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
How to Apply
Please complete the Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Application Form. We will contact you within two weeks to let you know if you have been selected for an interview.
Accepting candidates on a rolling basis through August 1, 2021
- Date Posted: March 26, 2021
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/16/2021
- Salary Range: $17,500 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
- Working Hours: 35 – 40 hours per week