Turnip Green Creative Reuse
Aftercare Lead Teaching Artist
Turnip Green Creative Reuse
Turnip Green Creative Reuse (TGCR) invests in people, the environment, and creativity. We keep tons of materials out of the landfill by taking in donations from businesses and the community. We believe everyone deserves a safe space to create and have access to materials, so our shop is pay-what-you-wish. We support and show reuse artists in our gallery. We teach about the environment and creativity in the community to all ages and nurture youth through our after school programs.
Turnip Green Creative Reuse is seeking Aftercare Lead Teaching Artists to join our team! This position reports to TGCR’s Program Manager and works in a team of several part-time staff members. People of color and LGBTQIA+ teachers are encouraged to apply. Spanish or Arabic language fluency is a plus.
TGCR offers aftercare programs at three unique Metro Nashville Public School sites, Monday-Friday from 2:30-6:00 PM. Our aftercare program aims to inspire creativity and encourage sustainable practices; to build positive relationships with students; and to guide students in their artistic, social, academic and emotional growth.
As a Lead Teaching Artist, you are responsible for leading a group of 20 students and supporting them with creative reuse education and art projects, academic support and outdoor/movement activities. This Lead Teaching Artist will be supported with an Assistant Teaching Artist.
- Oversee and lead students through snack, physical play, social-emotional learning, and art-making.
- Work alongside Assistant Teaching Artist to care for students
- Communicating with Aftercare Site Lead and TGCR staff.
- Responsible for responding to weekly staff communication on time.
This position is 18.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday, 2:30-6:00pm and 1 hour for admin time (responding to emails, etc.)
- Teaching or leading a group (K-4 preferred)
- Creating visual arts and/or reuse art
- Working collaboratively on a team
- Punctual and devotes energy to students when leading classes
- Flexible and willing to take on program responsibilities as needed
- Creative with reusable materials
- Environmentally conscious
- Clear communicator
- Prepared and forward-thinking
- Patient, empathetic, and understanding of students, fellow teaching artists, TGCR staff and members, and other members of our community
- Works well on a team, strengthens community, and furthers our mission
- Accepting and respectful of all demographics and lifestyles
- Advocate for and support TGCR by making donations for materials (not those used for TGCR educational programs), attending events, engaging in social media, and/or promoting TGCR
- 403b 1% match after employed one year
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Annual Bonus
- Stocked break area with snacks and drinks
- Seasonal staff activities
- Team building activities
- Peer awards
- Regular staff recognition by board of directors
- Open door policy
- Care for person philosophy
How to Apply
Apply through our website: https://www.turnipgreencreativereuse.org/join-the-team
- Date Posted: July 21, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Salary Range: 14/hr