Nashville Public Library Foundation
Adult Literacy Program Specialist
Nashville Public Library Foundation
This is a full time non-Civil Service position that supports adult literacy, high school equivalency, and English as a Second Language direct service providers in innovative and creative ways to make the greatest gains for Nashville’s adult learning community. The Adult Literacy Program Specialist supports Adult Literacy at NPL by developing and leading programs that support adult educators and learners including professional development, digital skills classes, presentations. Presents programming throughout Davidson County. Other duties as assigned.
Some evening and weekend work required.
Bringing Books to Life! (BBTL) is an award-winning literacy outreach initiative created by Nashville Public Library in collaboration with various agencies and institutions to serve the families and children of Nashville. The program utilizes the Library’s unique troupe of performing artists and historic collection of marionettes to foster reading readiness through literature-based theatre presentations, classroom lessons, and family literacy workshops. BBTL, sponsored by the Nashville Public Library Foundation, seeks to make the library a meaningful part of the lives of children and their families and emphasize the importance of reading to children.
Located in the heart of Music City, The Nashville Public Library boasts 4 million visits annually and maintains a collection of 2 million items, including a one-of-its kind civil rights collection. The Metro Archives, a premier division of the Public Library, is the official record keeper of Nashville’s history, maintaining records of enduring historical value. Nashville Public Library is central to the city’s art, history, education and literary culture, earning it the title of Gale-Cengage and the Library Journal’s 2017 Library of the Year. The library periodically hosts best-selling authors, and during the summer months offers free lunchtime concerts in a beautifully manicured courtyard featuring everything from salsa to soul, to blues to Bach. If this environment is appealing to you, then you might want to consider a job at the public library.
- Participate in the development of and promote Adult Literacy at NPL programming, including biannual conferences, professional development events, classes for adult learners, and referral services.
- Coordinate logistics for programming including workshops, Mobile Laptop Labs, Pathway for New Americans, and Adult Literacy at NPL’s biannual conferences.
- Prepare materials for workshops, presentations, and other programming.
- Deliver programming to adult educators and adult learners or assist in the delivery of programming.
- Coordinate and consult with community partners to ensure programming efficacy and relevancy.
- Represent Nashville Public Library at community events and meetings.
- Monitor communications and provide service referrals to individuals and organizations.
- Assist with outcome-based evaluation by recording and analyzing data from participant surveys and focus groups.
- Prepare statistical reports for Program Supervisor and Program Manager.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and communicate needs to supervisor.
Two (2) years of college (60 semester hours) from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of library experience or similar experience working with adult literacy;
High School diploma and four (4) years of library experience or similar experience working with adult literacy;
Bachelor’s degree and some experience
Valid Driver License may be required for some positions in this classification.
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social sciences, or related field or TESOL certificate
- Experience developing and conducting workshops and training sessions for teachers and adult learners
- Experience working with adult learners (high school equivalency, adult basic education, ESL, digital skills)
- Fluent bilingual language skills, Spanish or Arabic preferred
- Skill in using computer software (Microsoft Office) and online resources
10 Vacation Days per year (increasing after 5 years of service)
1 Sick Day per month
12 Paid Holidays per year
For more information, visit https://www.nashville.gov/departments/human-resources/benefits/employee-benefit-plans
How to Apply
Interested candidates must apply via the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nashville/jobs/3851340/adult-literacy-program-specialist-2-bringing-books-to-life?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
- Date Posted: January 4, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education
- Salary Range: 43,646.56
- Working Hours: 40 hours/week, 8:30 - 5:00 with some weekend and evening work required