Brentwood United Methodist Church
Administrative Coordinator- Congregational Care & Family Ministries
Brentwood United Methodist Church
Congregational Care & Family Ministries
Position Type: Exempt
Category: Regular, Full Time Position
Reports to: Director of Congregational Care & Family Ministries
Ministry Summary/Objective: The administrative coordinator provides support to all Congregational Care and Family Ministries initiatives, programs and pastoral responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Support Congregational Care lay-led ministries including but not limited to: Visitation Ministry, Stephen Ministry, Sunny Day Club, Neighbor to Neighbor Ministries, Flower Ministry, Prayer Shawl
• Support Congregational Care programs, events, and initiatives including but not limited to: Grief Support, Partners in Hope, Grace Notes, Special Worship Services, Support Groups, Prayer Teams, Mental Wellness Workshops
• Maintain updated hospitalization list
• Manage schedule for emergency pastor on-call phone
• Collaborate with communications team to promote ministries, classes, and events
• Bring new administrative process ideas to the team for continuous improvement of the department
• Prepare and communicate Sunday worship prayer list updates
FUNERAL MINISTRY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Arrange time to meet with bereaved family at BUMC and guide them through planning a service in a compassionate and caring manner
• Coordinate with other departments (A/V, Worship and Arts, Facilities, Clergy) to confirm service leadership, serving as liaison between family and staff participants
• Reserve details in ESpace calendar system and appropriate Outlook calendars
• Manage all correspondence with family
• Provide support to Funeral Home and assist them in preparing arrangements
• Send “Notice of Member Death” emails to congregation
• Coordinate volunteer funeral teams
• Provide hospitality to family and guests on day of service
• Prepare funeral bulletins
• Handle other administrative details as needed
ADMINISTRATIVE & FINANCIAL DUTIES:
• Provide administrative support to assigned ministry areas to include, but not limited to:
o Managing and implementing schedules for facilitators and groups
o Timely and accurate communication of events and services
o Coordinate scheduling of rooms and other facility related needs
o Oversee background checks for department volunteers
o Share budget information with lay leaders
• Prepare and distribute weekly bulletin and prayer list updates
• Prepare and send department mailings
• Receive and respond to departmental calls and emails
• Oversee purchase order process and maintenance of congregational care and family ministry budget records, including reconciling month end and year-to-date ledger
• Coordinate data collection and process evaluations after caring ministry events and classes
• Prepare and process department purchase orders, credit card payments
• Attend staff and other departmental meetings
• Back up Reception Desk as requested
• Timely and accurate data entry into Arena database
• Data entry of care visits, prayer request card input, and other ministry record-keeping
• Prepare mail and/or email list from database
• Submit communications requests for website updates, promotion of events, etc.
• Run Arena reports and prepare presentations of data as assigned
• Manage participant registrations for events and classes
• Respond to Arena requests for information
• High level of competency in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technology with ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently (e.g. Arena church management system, event scheduling and registration software)
• Effective written and verbal communications skills
• Excellent organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize, and manage time
• Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks and duties with a positive attitude
• Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
• Strong relational skills and the ability to handle sensitive/crisis situations with compassion
• Self-starter who takes initiative and anticipates needs of the department
• Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
• High emotional intelligence, able to navigate grief
Education and Experience Requirements
• Associate’s Degree Required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• Three (3) to five (5) years of administrative experience required
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
This position operates in an office setting that involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions. This position routinely uses standard office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in an office environment. Position can be sedentary and is required to talk, hear, stand, walk, and sit. Employee must be able to stand for long periods of time providing hospitality and coordination of funerals, memorial services, family receptions, and other ministry events. Employee must occasionally lift or move office supplies or other donated items up to 25 pounds.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the area and overnight travel may be expected.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Benefits: access to medical, dental, vision, Paid-time off, and 403b.
How to Apply
how to apply: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our webpage at bumc.net/employment.
- Date Posted: October 7, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Religious
- Start Date: 11/01/2021
- Working Hours: Expected Hours of Work Days and hours of work are Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week. Occasional evening and weekend hours required for funeral preparation and coverage, and other ministry requirements.