Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary
Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary
Owl’s Hill Nature Sanctuary seeks proposals for contract bookkeeping/accounting services. Typically 2-4 hours/week, with additional hours at fiscal year-end and audit. Work is 100 percent off-site.
OHNS’s mission is to provide a sanctuary for nature that inspires exploration, nourishes the mind and body, and encourages lifelong environmental conservation. We envision a world that seeks out, values and protects nature. Our work focuses on maintaining a protected home for 2,000+ species of local flora and fauna that thrive in the hills, forests, creek, ponds and meadows of the 300-acre nature preserve; enticing visitors of all ages to explore the great outdoors through hiking, environmental programs, workshops, wildlife monitoring programs and volunteer opportunities.
The Sanctuary currently operates with an annual budget of ~$400,000 and 4 full-time, 2 part-time employees. Private gifts and grants, admissions and program fees fund the organization. Our fiscal year is Oct. 1 – Sept. 30.
The individual or firm selected will be responsible for providing the following services:
- Record revenue & expenses
- Month-end reconciliation of all bank, investment and balance sheet accounts
- Monthly Financial Reporting (P&L, Balance Sheet) by 2nd Tuesday of the month
- Enter and process payroll information including tracking sick/cacation time used and accrued, paying payroll taxes, transmitting 401(k) contributions and preparing year-end W2s
- File quarterly reports (Federal 941, TN Premium and Wage) with required payments, if any, meeting deadlines.
- Prepare annual 1099s
- Monitor release of restricted and deferred funds
- Maintain general ledger including month-end and year-end journal entries
- Provide audit data, schedules and other documentation as requested by auditor to complete audit and 990
- Maintain fixed asset inventory and depreciation
- Review OHNS transaction entries for proper recording of entries and request missing or outstanding information
- Provide advisory support for questions, as needed
- Accounts Payable: record invoices, prepare checks and make payments to vendors
- Enter monthly credit card transactions in QB
- Review payroll report and prepare paychecks
- File quarterly TN Sales Tax report
- File annual Charitable Solicitation license
- Track grant costs in QB
Term of Contract
Initial contract will be for 1 year with an option to extend the contract for two (2) additional 1- year contract periods.
All applicants must have a degree in accounting from an accredited college or university and relevant nonprofit experience, including GAAP accounting and audits.
How to Apply
Please use the following format when preparing your response. Please limit your proposal to no more than two (2) pages, excluding attachments.
- Proposer Information: Name, company affiliation (if applicable) and primary contact, email, phone, etc.
- Scope of Work: Description of services to be provided
- Qualifications: Education; summary of previous similar work for a nonprofit organization(s); proficiency with non-profit accounting software for small organizations; and experience with audits.
- Proposed Monthly Fee
- Resume: If not affiliated with a firm
- Professional References: At least 3 references for which proposer has performed similar work; include the current contact information for each
Proposals will be reviewed for completeness, proposer experience, experience with previous similar work, excellent references, and reasonableness of cost proposal. Review begins immediately.
Submit completed proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submission required for all materials. Please reference “Accounting Services” in the subject line of your message.
- Date Posted: September 2, 2022
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Environment