Vanderbilt University Medical Center Office of Development
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Office of Development
Working Title: Accounting Manager, Development Finance and Gift and Donor Services
HR Classification: 6263, Accounting Manager
Reports to: Senior Director of Finance and Gift and Donor Services
Through the exceptional capabilities and caring spirit of its people, Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) leads in the delivery of exemplary health care, improving the lives of individuals and communities regionally, nationally and internationally. We combine transformative educational programs, compelling scientific discoveries, and distinctive personalized care to achieve this goal.
To consistently achieve excellence in medical science and health care, VUMC Development builds relationships and encourages philanthropic contributions to directly impact today’s work and to secure a strong future of service. Enthusiastic and timely support from our philanthropic partners enables the Medical Center as a nonprofit academic medical institution to excel in conducting groundbreaking research, training future leaders and providing compassionate care to patients.
Perform professional work requiring advanced application and use of concepts, theories, principles, practices, regulations, and terminology of accounting. Analyze and review financial data and prepare financial statements and reports for both internal and external purposes consistent with a comprehensive understanding of Institutional mission and vision, the role and goals of the business unit and consistent with an understanding of academic and healthcare accounting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), applicable regulations, and medical center policies and procedures. Guidelines and procedures are established on a global basis and an advanced level of professional judgment is required.
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Finance and Gift and Donor Services, the Accounting Manager for Finance and Gift and Donor Services will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee the Gift and Donor Services team for VUMC Development including the management of two staff members that provide central gift processesing services, operational infrastructure and customer support to the entire department. Supervise and coordinate staff in order to:
- plan, coordinate and control work procedures to ensure department mission is being met
- provide leadership for staff
- set goals and review progress for staff
- schedule work hours, and identify solutions for coverage challenges
- participate in hiring process when necessary
- delegate work, track progress and provide feedback, including administering formal performance effectively
- serve as liaison between Gift and Donor and department leadership, while providing activity updates to Finance Director.
- improve accountability and efficiency within team with focus on documenting all processes and ensuring adherence to policies and procedures
- Participate regularly in process improvement teams under indirect supervision and oversight. May perform leadership role in intermediate level process improvement projects.
- Use creative problem solving skills
- Use a broad knowledge of Vanderbilt systems, accounting practices and organizational business units to evaluate and recommend improvements in accounting system procedures to ensure accurate application of accounting principles.
- Maintain regular communication with intra-departmental administrative teams to promote consistency in accounting processes
- Use generally accepted accounting principles to analyze, review and present information and summary reports to management
- Project/calculate accounting data to show the effects of proposals on capital investments, income, cash positions, and overall financial condition
- Reconcile highly complex transactions and accounts
- Complete and maintain timely reconciliations
- Prepare journal and closing entries
- Approve and verify transactions in various financial systems
- Format, design, and prepare financial reports and schedules to meet the needs of a variety of internal and external users consistent with Financial Management formatting standards
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) (Required)
- 4 years experience (Required)
- Advanced project management, process improvement and project planning skills.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrates accountability and ownership of work.
- Ability to build and sustain trust-based relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use solid analytical skills to foster and generate new ideas.
- Very strong time management and organizational skills are essential.
- Ability to think quickly in uncertain situations and respond in an appropriate manner that represents the values of Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- Uphold departmental and institutional policies regarding confidential information following VUMC Development HIPAA Fundraising Guidelines and Practices.
- Work cooperatively with VUMC Development colleagues, as well as colleagues across the Medical Center.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must possess a high level of confidence, initiative, organizational skills as well as oral and written communication skills. Candidates must also have the capacity to perform in an intellectually rigorous and complex environment, exhibit personal characteristics enabling effective interaction with important constituencies, and possess a genuine commitment to the advancement of the VUMC mission and to the principles governing VUMC Development.
See Vanderbilt University Medical Center office of Human Rsources for list of benefits
How to Apply
Contact Anna Sparks, email@example.com
- Date Posted: July 18, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Start Date: 08/15/2022
- Salary Range: $80-90k
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk