TennCare Deputy Chief Financial Officer
TennCare is Tennessee’s managed care Medicaid program that provides health insurance coverage to certain groups of low-income individuals such as pregnant women, children, caretaker relatives of young children, older adults, and adults with physical disabilities. TennCare provides coverage for approximately 1.5 million Tennesseans and operates with an annual budget of approximately $12 billion. It is run by the Division of TennCare with oversight and some funding from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). TennCare’s mission is to improve the lives of Tennesseans by providing high-quality cost-effective care. To fulfill that purpose, we equip each employee for active participation and empower teams to communicate and work collaboratively to improve organizational processes in order to make a difference in the lives our members. Because of the positive impact TennCare has on the lives of the most vulnerable Tennesseans, TennCare employees report that their work provides them with a sense of meaning, purpose, and accomplishment. TennCare leadership understands that employees are our most valuable resource and ensures professional and leadership development are a priority for the agency.
The Deputy Chief Financial Officer is located within TennCare’s fiscal division and reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer. TennCare’s fiscal division is responsible for the strategic and day-to-day management of the agency’s $13 billion annual budget and fiscal processes, ensuring that cost-effective care is delivered in a sustainable way for the state budget. The Deputy Chief Financial Officer will have a small team of financial analysts that serve as direct reports. In addition, this senior-level position will work closely with the CFO and other senior staff within fiscal and across the agency to manage and implement various fiscal projects and processes.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively on highly visible projects from start to finish. Additionally, the successful candidate will communicate effectively and professionally with a wide range of individuals from stakeholders and advocates to senior leaders in business and government. Job duties may also include researching and reporting on various healthcare issues and policies, engaging with data by recognizing patterns and effectively communicating observations and results to others, and solving highly technical and complex problems in processes and other workflows.
- Assist the CFO and Director of Budget with formulating and tracking TennCare’s annual $13B budget;
- Manage a small team of financial analysts to report and provide analysis on various financial key performance indicators;
- Manage the relationships with several key external vendors and stakeholders;
- Manage the development and implementation of annual nursing facility reimbursement rates totaling over $1B in annual spend;
- Contribute in meetings with actuaries involving the determination of capitation rates that are paid to the state’s managed care organizations (MCOs); and
- Manage and implement various projects that have a fiscal focus
- A master’s degree in business, finance, public administration, public health, public policy, or another related field from an accredited college or university
- 5+ years of related work experience in budget, finance, health care, government, or other related areas
- Strong analytical skills, with a demonstrated ability to recognize patterns and trends in data and ask and find answers to complex questions and problems.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with a track record in creating business processes and improving existing ones
- Strong computer skills, including expert Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel
- Proficiency in oral and written communication skills, with a demonstrated ability for concise and effective communication
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage workload to meet specific timeframes and deadlines
To see all the great benefits available to State of Tennessee employees, go to the TN.gov Benefits page: https://www.tn.gov/hr/employees1/benefits.html
How to Apply
To apply for this job or see other opportunities at TennCare, visit the state of Tennessee’s Careers page today: https://www.tn.gov/careers/apply-here.html
- Date Posted: September 9, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Government