YMCA of Middle Tennessee
YMCA of Middle Tennessee
Consistent with the Christian mission and vision of the YMCA of Middle Tennessee, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the VP of HR, Workforce Development, the HR Generalist provides consultative support to membership centers on policies, procedures, and regulations regarding equal opportunity employment, recruitment and hiring options, compensation, performance management and disciplinary procedures. S/he provides advice and assistance to centers on best HR practices in specific situations, and coordinates and facilitates timely response to center needs, as part of the People Services team’s effort to provide exceptional, responsive service in all interactions with employees, volunteers, members and participants of the YMCA of Middle Tennessee.
This position requires an enthusiastic individual able to adapt to a continuously evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace. An ideal candidate must be highly organized, possess superior communication skills, and demonstrate sound judgment, initiative, and independent thinking.
- Supports the YMCA mission and models the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Models and puts into practice behavior that supports inclusion and diversity.
- Drives a culture and an environment of openness through employee communication and transparency; facilitates programs and practices to improve employee engagement and foster talent retention.
- Partners with Center and Association leadership to be first point of contact for questions, recommendations, and solutions.
- Serves as initial point of advice, problem resolution, and facilitation in the areas of employee relations, performance management, and employee coaching and counseling; partners with HR Director, Employee Relations to research, identify, and analyze specific employee relations concerns and makes appropriate recommendations regarding employee relations policies, procedures, and documentation.
- Provides a range of generalist support and problem resolution to centers including, but not limited to, compliance with ADA, FLSA, FMLA, requests for accommodation, and related regulations and internal policies.
- Assists with efforts to grow staff learning, skill development, and productivity.
- Compiles and utilizes HR data and analytics involving any metrics, information, and trends to define and solve problems, guide decision-making, track progress, determine effectiveness, and pinpoint areas of focus for continued improvement and efficiency.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for center staff in the utilization of our HRIS, Paycom.
- Works with centers to initiate requests for job reclassification; collaborates with VP of HR, WD to assess proactive staffing plans, analyze job responsibilities, and determine appropriate job classifications for existing employees.
- Ensures adherence to recruitment/selection policy and procedures; assists with / participates in center interviews; approves formal offers of hire.
- Consults with centers regarding the application of all aspects of staff compensation policies, guidelines, and procedures; works with directors to resolve compensation questions within policy parameters.
- Monitors, verifies, and authorizes routine personnel actions and requests pertaining to existing employees and new hires, in accordance with established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Undertakes research into operating policy and procedure issues and participates in the development, or revision of, operating policy and procedures; analyzes and prepares recommendations to VP of HR, Workforce Development on specific policy-related issues when requested.
- Develops, designs, and presents HR in-service training to center staff with regards to general and specific HR policies, procedures, and documentation.
- Assists with responses to legal, EEO, Dept of Labor complaints. Supports legal recommendations for improvement of the company’s policies, procedures and practices.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends to ensure compliance with employment law, case law updates and regulatory guidance.
- Ensures maintenance of personnel files and documentation in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Passion, enthusiasm, and commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community and to serve employees with a smile and a sense of humor!
- Must present a professional image and possess conflict resolution skills, and demonstrate sound judgment and initiative.
- Ability to work as a member of a fast-paced team with minimal supervision.
- Must be detail-oriented and highly organized with the ability to work under pressure, manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and to make administrative and procedural decisions on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Knowledge of employment labor law and State of TN labor law including those related to employment of minors.
- Must have strong communication and documentation skills; ability to prepare and present HR training programs and materials.
- Desire to drive innovation and change within the People Services department to improve efficiency and customer service.
Education / Experience Required:
- Minimum three years of progressive Human Resources experience.
- Minimum 21 years of age; four-year degree or a combination of life experience, work experience, and education that demonstrates the abilities to carry out the job functions and responsibilities.
- Proficiency with HRIS systems, preferably with Paycom; proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software programs; ability to learn new software programs is essential.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing and resolving complex issues; ability to exercise sound judgment, initiative and independent thinking.
- Must be able to travel to multiple locations and able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Multilingual a plus.
- SHRM-CP or HRCI PHR/SPHR certification a plus.
Benefits package including generous paid time off
Participation in Y Retirement plan and 403 (b) savings account upon eligibility
Free membership at all 14 wellness center locations
Discounts on youth programs, summer camps and sports instruction
How to Apply
Click HERE to apply today!
Application deadline is June 25, 2023
- Date Posted: June 9, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Human Resources
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: $47,384 - $59,230 depending on experience
- Working Hours: Mon - Fri 8AM-5PM